2013 is the Year for YOU to CHECK The Companies That You Are Considering Using For Your Renovation Works!
As we enter 2013 we heard of a local Loft Conversion Company going bust in the run up to Christmas. This left worried and upset customers contacting us to help with unfinished lofts prior to Christmas!!! Do you want this to be you? If not – Do the relevant checks!
With rising construction companies going bust in 2012 and with many rogue traders roaming the streets, it is essential to do all the various checks before deciding which company to choose, as shown below;
- All Limited companies advertising via a website are by law required to list their company registration number. 1st Check Companies House to establish when the company was incorporated. Websites may state they have 30 years experience, however this may be combined between people working there, or they may just mean 30 years experience of working in the industry, the reality is they may have only set up last week! Check out the link below. If the company is not limited, ask for confirmation of how long they have been trading and in what capacity, i.e. a sole trader or a partnership and do they trade from home. Remember a legitimate company will not be offended.
Ask yourself the question, if for any reason, illness or from an unfortunate accident how would your construction be completed by a sole trader? Go to http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/ to Search Company Information.
- Do a credit check on a company to assess their financial situation. You do not want work started by any company that may not be able to complete the construction. See this link below; Remember that you guarantee is worthless if the company ceases to exist next year! http://www.companycheck.co.uk
- Confirm that the company is a member of the Trade associations, some companies may put logos on their website and vehicles, but it does not mean they are actually members Check a few out here;
• Federation of Mater Builders (FMB) – http://www.fmb.org.uk/check-a-member/
• Fairtrades – http://www.homepro.com/index.aspx?GO=CHECKMEOUT
• The Trade Register – https://www.traderregister.org.uk/search_criteria.php
An 86 year old pensioner was left with leaking roof after ‘Cowboy Builders’ had been round – Once again Buckley’s were to the rescue!
In December 2012 we were called out to a client’s property to inspect his leaking roof. It was evident upon arrival that ‘Cowboy Builders’ had been involved with this roof repair.
This pensioner had been taken advantage of by so called “roofers” which had ‘bodged’ his roof stopping the leak temporarily. They had painted the tiles with a red rubberised sealant, it did not only look unsightly it clearly was not stopping the roof from leaking as shown below.
Buckley’s took action by:
- stripping the roof off completely
- Re- lathing
- Re -felting
- Replacing with new tiles
Completing the new roof as shown below, leaving another satisfied customer in time for the Christmas period.
Don’t be fooled by these rogue builders. Do the right checks as shown above and get the correct skilled tradesmen in your home; else you will be left like this pensioner with a leaking roof and out of pocket.
THINK SENSIBLY AND SAFELY OF WHOM YOU’RE LETTING IN TO YOUR HOME!